Property & Real Estate Law.
Meredith Connell’s Property & Real Estate team is one of the largest and busiest practices in New Zealand.
We advise on projects for local and international investors, property funds, listed companies, national retailers, masterplan developers, large government departments and local authorities.
We’re not just focused on deals. We’re focused on our clients. We see ourselves as strategic partners with business. We’re not here to 'flip properties'. Each transaction is part of the longer term process of creating value across your portfolio and into the future.
We work with you
We bring our acute commercial sense to advising you through every stage of your ownership of properties, including development, facilities management, leasing, alternative uses and selling.
We work closely with your management and in-house staff to understand your business, and with Meredith Connell’s Infrastructure & Projects Group to help turn your long term vision into a reality.
We help buyers and sellers on the acquisition and disposal of commercial property including due diligence. The team also regularly assists with the property aspects of commercial sales and acquisitions.
One size doesn’t fit all
We advise on development agreements for all kinds of projects. One size doesn't fit all. Our people have particular expertise in development of greenfield sites, preparing bespoke agreements to meet clients’ particular needs with infrastructure providers and local government, as well as subdivisions and facility-sharing agreements on new builds.
We can provide advice on the appropriate ownership structures, including innovative forms such as fractional ownership and residents’ clubs, limited partnerships and syndication/proportionate ownership.
Our team’s broad experience includes
- Advising an Australian property investment fund on the redevelopment, leasing and sale of its $200 million New Zealand property portfolio
- Acting for high profile Australian and New Zealand companies, operating national retail chains in relation to multiple agreements to build and lease new stores
- Negotiating leasing arrangements and agreements to build and lease new premises for a large listed company
- Acting for international developers to deliver new buildings in the Christchurch CBD, including negotiating a development agreement and a construction contract in the Christchurch rebuild environment
- Advising the Ministry of Education, one of the largest property owners in the country, on the acquisition of new school sites and construction of associated infrastructure