Private Equity & Venture Capital.
Meredith Connell’s Private Equity and Venture Capital specialists are a dynamic team with enormous experience. We’re not stuck in the old way of doing things. We combine expertise and ideas from around the world with local commercial expertise to help you structure your projects and get the results you want.
We’re experts in private equity and venture capital and represent New Zealand, Australian, United States and European managers on the whole of the life of their fund, from establishment and capital raising, to execution of the investment pipeline, and on to exit and fund termination. We also advise the management of both start-up, early-stage and growth capital businesses on their equity and debt capital-raising options, from seed funding up to pre-IPO investment and everything in between.
We speak your language
We understand risk and we know what creates value. We don’t punch time-cards. We align our interests with yours, to provide cost-effective and efficient service using fee arrangements that are tailored to the risk profiles of your transactions.
The team’s growing practice has attracted leading legal talent with sectoral experience gained at top firms, both in New Zealand and overseas, to cover any size of project. Both our lawyers and our clients are drawn to us because of our ability to combine creative thinking with an international track record. In other words, we speak your language.
The right people
Collectively, partner John Stephens and associate Derek Roth-Biester have more than 30 years’ experience in advising fund managers and investors on private equity and venture capital projects in New Zealand as well as further afield.
Derek has particular private equity expertise, having worked for over a decade in Hong Kong advising a number of ASEAN-based fund managers on the structuring of fund vehicles and on the acquisition and divestment of portfolio companies in mainland China, South-east Asia and the United States. More recently he spent two years in the Cayman Islands where he set up dozens of both open and closed-ended investment fund structures across a number of asset classes.
Our team’s broad experience
Our team’s broad experience in private equity and venture capital transactions includes:
- Advising a private equity fund manager on its New Zealand operations and acting as lead counsel in the United States and the United Kingdom, including capital raising, debt financing, group restructuring and contractual arrangements for leisure and travel operations and resort management
- Advising a private equity fund manager on the establishment of dual investment vehicles and downstream investment in gas and petroleum joint ventures in New South Wales, Australia
- Acting for an overseas private equity fund manager on a $300 million transaction involving multiple sites in Queenstown, New Zealand
- Advising a minerals processing start-up company on its initial capital investment by a New Zealand venture capital fund
- Advising an Asian private equity fund manager on multiple portfolio acquisitions and disposals, with deal values between US$50 million and US$200 million.