Corporate & Commercial Law.
We think like the businesses we advise and aim to be part of the deal team that makes it happen. We don't offer off-the-rack advice; we work with you to achieve your goals. That’s why Meredith Connell’s Corporate and Commercial team are the ideal partners in any transaction or commercial arrangement.
We advise on the full range of corporate and commercial transactions across a number of market sectors, and represent clients from entrepreneurs and start-ups to some of the largest listed firms in the country on both national and international projects. We are driven by getting results that create value over the life of a business.
WE SEE THE BIGGER PICTURE
In addition to our local strengths, our lawyers have decades of experience in markets like the UK, Hong Kong and the Middle East. We have the knowledge and expertise that comes from immersion in global commercial markets.
Working closely with you, we can understand your vision for your business and use our legal and commercial knowledge to help you get the best outcomes. Your transaction is important to us, because it’s part of the bigger picture of you achieving your commercial and strategic goals.
We draw on that experience for a wider range of innovative and unique solutions for our clients, whatever their business. We apply our in-depth sectoral knowledge to provide tailor-made, commercially-focused advice on time, and within budget. And we are better placed to advise on transactions with international aspects.
Advising both commercial clients and regulators gives us a unique perspective. We understand New Zealand’s regulatory framework, and represent clients in their engagements with the Overseas Investment Office, the Commerce Commission and the Financial Markets Authority, among others.
Our success in creating value for clients means our practice is always growing. Meredith Connell is a destination for the best legal talent in the field.
Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A) Experience
- Acting for a European luxury accommodation provider on its merger and subsequent demerger with a United States developer
- Acting for NZ-based rights holder on the purchase of a minority stake by a US VC investor in the IP, brand and merchandising rights of a series of well-known fictional characters, with post-money enterprise value of NZ$16 million, and ongoing rights development
- Acting on the sell-down of pizza chain restaurants in New Zealand
- Acquisition of various entities worldwide specialising in luxury hotel and lodge accommodation
JOINT VENTURES experience
- Advising PE fund entity on its joint venture with Time Inc
- Advising New Zealand ear, nose and throat surgeons on joint venture structure
- Advising a NASDAQ-listed renewable energy enterprise on setting up multiple coal-gasification joint ventures in China, each with a total investment size around US$100 million, and on Intellectual Property licensing arrangements
- Advising a European cable TV channel on its joint venture with a Chinese satellite operator, valued at US$6 million
- Advising an NZX-listed wine producer on the establishment of its operations in Hong Kong
- Advising a kiwifruit exporter on restructuring its China operations and attendant plant variety rights licensing issues
- Advising the London office of Merrill Lynch on systems procurement and integration contracts, market data agreements, hardware and software maintenance and disaster recovery contracts
- Advising the Investment Banking Division of Goldman Sachs (Hong Kong) on its disaster recovery agreements
- Advising Fujitsu Hong Kong on standard form IT documentation, including software-development and distribution agreements, non-disclosure and licence agreements