Commercial Litigation & Dispute Resolution.
With Meredith Connell in your corner for commercial or civil disputes, you work with the most formidable team of litigation lawyers there is. That’s the bottom line.
The skill, depth and range of experience of our Commercial and Civil Litigation team is second to none. We act in some of the biggest commercial and civil litigation cases in the country.
As well as acting for a number of large government departments and institutions, we represent listed companies, liquidators, investment and private equity fund managers, national retailers and private individuals to help them achieve the best-possible commercial outcomes.
We are efficient. Our clients do not pay for million-dollar art collections. They pay for successful outcomes in big cases. Our major investment is in having the best lawyers and training.
We don’t need to call for reinforcements or brief barristers when matters look like they are heading for trial. We are courtroom lawyers and have all the firepower you need to reach the right result in or on the steps of the court. Our lawyers are not paper tigers.
We are commercial and pragmatic, seeking cost-effective early resolution of disputes that may be headed for litigation. We engage in mediations and arbitration work almost daily.
WORKING ACROSS TEAMS
Meredith Connell’s culture is different from that found in other legal firms. We attract the best lawyers and we treat them accordingly, so our people gain experience in running cases from day one.
We earn the trust of our clients by delivering results. We build long-term relationships with clients as a firm.
This means that, as litigators, we spend time working closely with our other specialist teams to understand your business and help to head off potential problems before they arise – not arguing about who chalks up billable hours.
Some of the cases our team has worked on
- Obtaining significant recoveries for the Ministry of Education, one of the largest property owners in New Zealand. The Ministry’s defective building recovery programme instructs Meredith Connell as its lawyers of choice. It is of national scale and involves multiple substantial claims for damages in the High Court.
- Acting for an overseas private equity fund manager in contract-related proceedings involving property transactions of over $100 million arising out of the Kawarau Falls Station development failure in Queenstown
- Representing liquidators in several of the most important recent directors’ duties cases
- Acting for Housing New Zealand Corporation and for District Health Boards
- Resolving the full range of commercial disputes for clients in the private sector