Will specialises in commercial dispute advice, resolution and litigation.
He advises clients and conducts litigation in a broad range of contentious civil matters.
He has particular recent experience in commercial and government contracts, construction, insurance, media, intellectual property, insolvency and property law.
Will works in partnership with his clients to avoid or resolve disputes efficiently and successfully. He gives pragmatic advice and makes a point of thoroughly knowing his clients’ business.
Where litigation is required, he is an experienced and effective courtroom advocate. He has appeared in litigation across the spectrum of civil and commercial disputes at all levels of the New Zealand and Australian court systems.
Will holds a first class honours degree from Victoria University of Wellington. Before returning to join MC, he’d been based in Sydney for seven years. He was a Senior Associate in the commercial litigation team of a top tier Australian law firm, and a barrister at a leading set of commercial chambers.
Will’s recent experience includes:
- Advising parties to commercial contracts regarding their rights and remedies.
- Acting in breach of contract and negligence claims in the construction context, for plaintiffs and defendants.
- Acting on disputes under the Construction Contracts Act.
- Advising government departments on procurement and contracting processes and acting in disputes arising from them.
- Acting for liquidators, including claims for breaches of directors' duties and insolvent transactions.
- Advising creditors of companies in liquidation, and acting in proceedings against liquidators.
- Acting in general liability and professional indemnity matters.
- Advising on insurance law issues, policy response and interpretation, and acting in disputes arising from them.
- Advising and acting for media organisations in defamation, privacy and contempt cases.
- Acting for and advising businesses on challenges to their intellectual property.
LLB (Hons) (first class), Victoria University of Wellington
- Christopher Gee QC Memorial Prize for Advocacy and Evidence, New South Wales Bar Practice Course.
- Will has lectured on media law at the University of New South Wales.
- Current practising certificates in New Zealand and in New South Wales.