Nick is a litigation partner, providing a full range of advisory and advocacy services. He combines first-rate advocacy and legal intuition with practical, commercial business sense.
He acts for a broad range of governmental and private-sector clients. Nick’s main practice areas are in the local government and resource management areas, as well as commercial contract and property disputes. He has appeared in the District Court, High Court, Court of Appeal and the Environment Court.
Nick is also a criminal jury trial prosecutor and has acted for various central and local government agencies defending public law and tort actions.
He has received numerous prizes and scholarships, including the New Zealand Law Society's Cleary Memorial Prize, an Inner Temple Pegasus Scholarship, and a Cambridge University Blue. At Victoria University of Wellington he received a Centennial Scholarship, the Colin Patterson Memorial Prize for Commercial Law, and won the Sir Richard Wild Cup for mooting.
- Acting for local authorities in resource consent, enforcement order and judicial review proceedings.
- Acting for a private developer to obtain resource consent for a residential development.
- Advising a local authority on various Resource Management Act and Reserves Act issues relating to a district plan change.
- Acting for an overseas manufacturer in a $4 million claim under the Sale of Goods Act 1908.
- Acting for a property developer in litigation with regard to cancellation of various sale and purchase agreements for misrepresentations.
LLB(Hons)/BA, Victoria University of Wellington
LLM, University of Cambridge
- New Zealand Law Society Sir Timothy Cleary Memorial Prize
- Inner Temple Pegasus Scholarship
- Cambridge University Blue
- Victoria University of Wellington – Centennial Scholarship
- Victoria University of Wellington – Colin Patterson Memorial Prize for Commercial Law
- Victoria University of Wellington – Sir Richard Wild Cup
- Member of the Resource Management Law Association