Nick is a principal in the firm's Criminal Practice Group, and the Criminal Practice Manager in the firm's Commercial Practice Group. He oversees the flow of Crown prosecution work to more than 15 lawyers in that group. Before this Nick was the deputy Criminal Practice Manager in the firm's Commerce Compliance and Insolvency Group and also a Team Leader in the firm's Manukau office.
Nick is an experienced trial prosecutor and has prosecuted more than 150 trials in both the High Court (including cases involving charges of murder, manslaughter and attempted murder) and the District Court. Those trials have covered the full spectrum of offending. His particular area of expertise is prosecuting cases involving serious sexual offending, often involving young children.
Since joining Meredith Connell in 2005 Nick has established an excellent reputation with the judiciary, Defence Bar and New Zealand Police.
Nick was also the Crown's representative on the Executive of the New Zealand Criminal Bar Association from 2011 to 2015.
- Acted as 2nd counsel in murder trial involving the murder of a 2½ year old child "Baby JJ" where his pancreas was split in half by the force of the blow(s) inflicted by the defendant (R v Loffley).
- Was lead counsel in a manslaughter case involving the deceased being run over and killed by his brother and friend as they tried to save him from being attacked by a group in South Auckland (R v Feaauai and Ofisa).
- Was lead counsel in a manslaughter case involving the stabbing of a partner by the female defendant (R v Hu).
- Was lead counsel in case involving charge of attempted murder involving the attempted stabbing of the defendant's partner. The defendant was only thwarted in his attempt to murder the victim when he was tasered by the Police (R v Gemmell).
- Was lead counsel in trials involving the repeated rape and sexual violation of the defendant's granddaughter when she was aged between 8 and 13 years old (R v V).
- Was lead counsel in trial involving the rape of a 12 year old child by her biological father (R v T).
- Was lead counsel in trial involving the repeated rape and sexual violation of an 11 year old child by her step father (R v V).
- Was lead counsel in trial involving the stabbing and near death of the defendant's former partner (R v Shen).
- Was lead counsel in trial involving sexual violation of an 8 year old child by her grandfather (R v F).
- Was lead counsel in trial involving sexual violation of a 9 year old child by her biological father (R v G).
- Acted as 2nd counsel in trial involving the kidnapping and assault with intent to commit sexual violation of a female prison guard by a prisoner serving a sentence of preventive detention (R v M).
LLB/BA, University of Auckland
- Nick was the Crown's representative on the Executive of the New Zealand Criminal Bar Association between 2011 and 2014