Nick is a courtroom lawyer with unique experience in acting for Plaintiffs in difficult or novel cases, whether in the civil or criminal jurisdiction. He is a hands on litigator called upon by clients for disputes that are important and highly contentious. He has successfully been to court against almost every major New Zealand corporate.
Nick has particular expertise in commercial regulatory cases, shareholders disputes, and commercial tort claims. He has argued cases in every Court in the New Zealand system, and appeared as Junior Counsel in the Privy Council.
He is also a Senior Crown Prosecutor, who has lead for the Crown on charges including murder, blackmail, and perjury.
Nick is a graduate of Harvard Law School, where he was a Fulbright Scholar.
- Acting for the Ministry of Education in its successful claims against James Hardie and Carter Holt Harvey for faulty building products, likely the largest civil case in New Zealand.
- Acting for the Commerce Commission in multiple high profile claims, including those involving Ribena, Viagogo, Jetstar, Nurofen, Vodafone, Godfrey Hurst, Nelson pharmacists, and Spark.
- Acting for the FMA against a variety of banks, funds and insurance companies.
- Acting for various private equity funds in shareholders disputes.
- Acting for Housing New Zealand in large scale commercial disputes.
- Acting for various tightly held companies in claims for breaches of the Commerce Act, Fair Trading Act, and contractual obligations.
LLM, Harvard Law School
LLB (First Class Honours)/BA, University of Canterbury
- Fulbright Scholar
- Speaker at Conferences organised by Auckland District Law Society, International Bar Association, and Competition Law and Policy Institute of New Zealand