Michael provides advice and representation in the following areas of law:
Professional standards - Michael has advised and appeared as counsel in hundreds of occupational disciplinary cases:
- Professional services – lawyers, financial advisers, statutory supervisors, immigration advisers, and real estate agents.
- Construction – chartered engineers, builders, plumbers, gasfitters, drainlayers and electrical workers.
- Health – midwives/nurses, psychologists, chiropractors.
- Sport – racing codes, football, cricket.
- Education – teachers and tertiary disciplinary.
Judicial review and public inquiries - Michael frequently appears in public law cases in the High Court and Court of Appeal and has acted on public inquiries conducted in relation to police conduct and transport safety.
Regulatory law and practice - Michael advises businesses on managing their regulatory obligations and public entities on regulatory design and performance, in areas as diverse as environmental and biosecurity compliance through to regulation of financial markets conduct.
Compensation and injunction proceedings - Michael is regularly instructed to appear on claims for compensation or injunctive relief in the High Court, and has particular expertise in the law of agency and damages claims involving public authorities.
Financial compliance - Michael advises on anti‑money laundering requirements and has acted in a number of criminal and civil proceedings relating to financial compliance, including as counsel for the Serious Fraud Office.
The following are a selection of cases Michael has appeared on in the High Court and above.
- J v LCRO  NZHC 2089
- AA v Family Court at Auckland (amicus brief)  NZAR 1101
- Zhao v LCRO  NZAR 1760
- Hu v Immigration & Protection Tribunal  NZAR 508
- Singh v Associate Minister of Immigration  NZAR 1433
- Deliu v Connell  NZAR 475
- Deliu v Hong (amicus brief)  NZAR 1008
- Anquandah v Attorney-General  BCL 742
- Attorney-General v Unitec  1 NZLR 750
- Henderson v Director of Land Transport NZ  NZAR 629
Compensation and injunction proceedings
- Tucker v Real Estate Authority  NZAR 264
- Chief Executive of Ministry of Business Innovation & Employment v Nair  NZAR 836
- Harvey v Real Estate Authority  NZHC 1697
- Opai v Culpan  NZHC 2010
- Romanov v Attorney-General  NZHC 1932
- Deliu v Ponniah  NZHC 1906
- Quin v Real Estate Authority & Ors  NZAR 38
- White v Attorney-General  NZCA 139
- White v Attorney-General HC, Wellington, 28/11/2007, CIV-1999-485-85, Miller J
Agency, trusts and managed funds
- Vosper v Real Estate Authority (2017) 18 NZCPR 633
- Edinburgh Realty v Scandrett (2016) 18 NZCPR 23
- Barfoot & Thompson v Real Estate Authority (2016) 17 NZCPR 485
- Wang v Real Estate Authority  NZHC 1011
- Barfoot & Thompson v Real Estate Authority and Campbell  2 NZLR 254
- Perpetual Trust Limited v Capital + Merchant Finance Limited  NZHC 2320
- House v Real Estate Authority and Henton  NZAR 1136
- Home Buyers Limited v Real Estate Authority (2011) 13 TCLR 409
- Dunn v Chief Executive of Ministry of Social Development  NZAR 267
- Angus v Plumbers, Gasfitters & Drainlayers Board  NZHC 2299
- Real Estate Authority v A  NZAR 66
- Real Estate Authority v Domb  NZAR 871
- Drever v Complaints Assessment Committee 403  NZHC 2213
- Nottingham v Real Estate Authority  NZCA 1
- Tucker v Complaints Assessment Committee 203  NZHC 1894
- Ram v NZLCDT  NZHC 2780
- Samuels v New Zealand Law Society  NZHC 3026
- NZTA v Moradi HC, Auckland, 26/11/2009, CIV-2009-404-2507, Williams J
LLB (Hons), University of Auckland
Chairperson of Meredith Connell's Management Board
Member of the New Zealand Bar Association