Juliet advises a wide range of clients on administrative and regulatory law matters, including on the scope and nature of their powers and duties and on the correct interpretation of their specific statutory or regulatory obligations. She has spent the majority of her career advising public entities on lawful and effective decision-making.
Juliet has particular expertise in privacy and information law issues. She assists clients to understand their legal obligations in relation to the information they collect, store, use, and disclose, as well as to manage requests under the Privacy Act, and the Official Information Act or LGOIMA. She helps clients to draft and review privacy policies, as well as to identify risks and to manage these effectively. She also advises on privacy issues that may arise in the context of new initiatives.
Juliet has worked as a solicitor in Wellington, London and Melbourne. She has advised clients in a range of sectors, including education, health, local government, and emergency services. Her clients have included government ministries and departments, statutory bodies, local councils, and entities regulated by government.
Juliet is a member of the New Zealand sub-committee of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (iappANZ).
- Preparing privacy impact assessments for Government agencies, including for significant new initiatives.
- Advising a multi-agency representative group on issues arising as the result of the gathering of information about individuals online, including from social media.
- Assisting clients with their response to Privacy Act and OIA/LGOIMA requests, including reviewing material, advising on the process to be followed, advising on the application of exemptions, drafting responses, and advising on the handling of complaints.
- Advising clients on new and amended privacy obligations arising out of (then) forthcoming amendments to (Australian) privacy legislation.
- Advising on a declaratory judgment application before the High Court and Court of Appeal, including preparing pleadings, witness briefs and submissions and advising on issues arising.
- Advising a government department in Victoria on the transfer of regulatory responsibility for the taxi industry to a statutory authority.
LLB (Hons)/BA, Victoria University of Wellington
LLM, University of Cambridge (United Kingdom)
Member of the New Zealand Sub-committee for the International Association of Privacy Professionals (iappANZ)