Fionnghuala has broad commercial and civil litigation experience, advising public entities and private corporations on both contentious and non-contentious matters. She has particular expertise in urgent matters and obtaining interim orders to protect the interests of clients pending resolution of disputes.
In addition to assisting with contractual disputes and tort claims, Fionnghuala provides compliance advice and acts in proceedings under the Commerce Act, consumer protection legislation, and the Companies Act. She also advises government and private clients on public law matters, including acting in judicial review proceedings and advising on compliance with relevant legislation, such as the Official Information Act and the Privacy Act.
Fionnghuala has lectured Contract Law at Victoria University of Wellington and worked, on secondment, at the UK Office of Fair Trading in the Competition Act enforcement team.
- Appeared as counsel in an application for freezing orders (Pounamu International v Lehen).
- Appeared as counsel for Housing New Zealand opposing judicial review proceedings (Wilkins v Housing New Zealand).
- Acted in the successful cartel proceeding brought by the Commerce Commission for anti-competitive conduct in relation to the price of air freight in and out of New Zealand (Kuehne + Nagel International AG v Commerce Commission).
LLB (Hons)/BA, Victoria University of Wellington
LLM, University of Cambridge (United Kingdom)
- Fionnghuala has lectured Contract Law at Victoria University of Wellington and worked, on secondment, at the UK's Office of Fair Trading in the Competition Act enforcement team
- Achieved a Commonwealth Scholarship to Cambridge University
- Achieved the Commercial Law prize, Victoria University of Wellington