Fionnghuala has broad commercial and civil litigation experience, advising public entities and private corporations on both contentious and non-contentious matters. She has particular expertise in urgent matters and obtaining interim orders to protect the interests of clients pending resolution of disputes.
In addition to assisting with contractual disputes and tort claims, Fionnghuala provides compliance advice and acts in proceedings under the Commerce Act, consumer protection legislation, and the Companies Act.
Fionnghuala also advises government and private clients on public law matters, including acting in judicial review proceedings, assisting with inquiries, and advising on compliance with core public legislation, such as the Official Information Act and the Privacy Act. She has significant experience assisting regulators to maximise the reach of their compliance and enforcement resources.
Fionnghuala has lectured Contract Law at Victoria University of Wellington and worked, on secondment, at the UK Office of Fair Trading in the Competition Act enforcement team. She is a co-author of Mahoney on Evidence.
- Counsel for the Commerce Commission in the High Court and Court of Appeal in respect of the challenge to decision to decline the merger of NZME and Fairfax.
- Counsel Assisting the Government Inquiry into Havelock North Drinking Water and Counsel Assisting the Government Inquiry into the Appointment Process for a Deputy Commissioner of Police.
- Counsel for Kāinga Ora – Homes and Communities in various commercial and public law proceedings, including judicial review proceedings.
LLB (Hons)/BA, Victoria University of Wellington
LLM, University of Cambridge (United Kingdom)
- Fionnghuala has lectured Contract Law at Victoria University of Wellington and worked, on secondment, at the UK's Office of Fair Trading in the Competition Act enforcement team.
- Fionnghuala is a co-author of Mahoney on Evidence
- Commonwealth Scholarship to Cambridge University
- Commercial Law prize, Victoria University of Wellington