Erin is an Associate, specialising in resource management, local government law and regulatory compliance. She has experience advising local authorities on a range of Resource Management Act enforcement matters, resource management litigation and policy-related issues. Erin also has expertise in advising public and private-sector entities on regulatory compliance issues.
She is a criminal prosecutor and has prosecuted trials in the District Court and High Court.
Erin has also worked for a "magic circle" law firm in the United Kingdom where she advised large multinational companies, providing advice on regulatory aspects of their business.
- Regularly appeared for regional councils in the upper North Island in the District Court in relation to criminal prosecutions for breaches of the Resource Management Act. This involved acting for the Waikato Regional Council in a case involving the illegal discharge of dairy effluent in which the court signalled that higher starting points could be expected for cases involving similar offending in the future. (Waikato Regional Council v Brownsville Farms Limited)
- Advised and provided training to a central government ministry on the development of a regulatory compliance and enforcement model. This included engagement with senior leaders and executive management to promote the value of compliance and enforcement, and developing a regulatory compliance audit and review programme to ensure risks were being proactively identified and managed.
- Advised private-sector clients, ranging from one of New Zealand's largest retirement village operators and the owner/operator of a high-pressure gas pipeline, through to individual landowners, on resource consent and designation applications, the Public Works Act process and proposed regional policy statements and plans. This work has also involved appearing at council hearings and in the Environment Court in support of resource consent applications.
LLB/BA (Criminology/Sociology), Victoria University of Wellington
- Committee Member of the Auckland District Law Society Environment and Resource Management Law Committee
- Member of the Resource Management Law Association
- Property Council New Zealand Women in Property Association
- Contributor to the Statutory Remedies chapter of New Zealand's major environmental textbook, Environmental and Resource Management Law 5th ed.