Elena is a specialist in disciplinary prosecutions and regulatory proceedings, from initial tribunals through to appeals before the District Court, the High Court, and the Court of Appeal.
She has delivered favourable outcomes for professional and regulatory bodies in a variety of proceedings, including before the:
- Lawyers and Conveyancers Disciplinary Tribunal;
- Real Estate Agents Disciplinary Tribunal;
- New Zealand Teachers Disciplinary Tribunal;
- Social Workers Complaints and Disciplinary Tribunal, and
- Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board.
Her civil litigation experience includes acting in clean slate applications, strike out applications and on immigration matters.
As a Crown prosecutor, she has acted in Judge-alone trials involving lesser offences through to jury trials involving sexual offending and serious violent crimes.
NSC2 v Mr Y  NZLCDT 8
- Successfully prosecuted a lawyer for misconduct and misleading a Standards Committee over an intimate relationship with a client.
CAC v Gibbs NZTDT 2020/36, 13 July 2021
- Successful prosecution of a teacher before the Teachers Disciplinary Tribunal for discussing inappropriate topics with and in the presence of children, and engaging in inappropriate physical contact with a child.
Quiambao v Barker  NZHC 371
- Represented the Real Estate Agents Authority in a High Court appeal against a decision of the Real Estate Agents Disciplinary Tribunal, including complex analysis of legal principles relating to licensees’ professional obligations on comparative market appraisals.
ASC1 v Arman  NZLCDT 17
- Successfully prosecuted a lawyer via formal proof before the Lawyers and Conveyancers Disciplinary Tribunal for engaging in misconduct when acting for a client in criminal proceedings.
Admitted as NZ Barrister and Solicitor, 2015
LLB(Hons, First Class), Victoria University of Wellington, 2014
BA(Asian Languages), Victoria University of Wellington, 2014