Anna Adams leads the firm's public law and health team. Her practice involves public and local government law, judicial review, medico-legal proceedings, civil litigation, inquests and criminal prosecution. She is highly experienced in governance, public sector policy and regulatory systems.
Anna advises and represents public and private sector clients in public law, regulatory and health-related matters. She has argued civil and criminal cases before the District Court, High Court and Court of Appeal and in a range of tribunals. Anna has conducted and advised on large scale reviews for public bodies, managed legislative reform processes (including bylaws) and advised on complex local government and health issues. She has substantial experience appearing in contested inquests.
Anna is a graduate of Yale Law School (with Honours) and the University of Auckland, where she was the recipient of prizes in law and politics as well as scholarships to study in the United States. She has served as a board member of the Civil Aviation Authority of New Zealand and the Auckland Medico-Legal Society Committee.
- Acting as counsel to entities across a range of legislative, regulatory, governance and litigation matters including local bylaw reform, the provision of essential services, licensing and permits, consumer protest actions, reviews of executive decision-making and public body commercial arrangements.
- Advising government and the private sector on policy and legislative development, probity in public decision-making and good governance.
- Acting as counsel in judicial review proceedings on behalf of the Auckland Council, the Ministry of Health, District Health Boards and other public bodies.
- Advising on official information management and privacy issues including dealing with the Ombudsman, the Auditor-General and other watchdog agencies.
- Acting as counsel in complex High Court civil proceedings, including defence of public bodies against tort and rights-based civil actions.
- Acting as counsel in complex and high-profile inquests.
- Regularly advising health clients on difficult and sensitive medico-legal issues, including ACC claims, reviews and appeals.
- Advising public entities on regulatory legal issues including water and health-related issues, local bylaws, public services, investigations and liability for incidents, regulatory duties.
- Acting for and against professionals in disciplinary inquiries and proceedings before administrative tribunals.
- Prosecuting regulatory offences involving commercial, environmental, health and fraud-related offending and serious criminal cases on behalf of the Crown, and defending private prosecutions of public officials acting in their official capacity.
- Acting for public sector entities in proceedings to identify, seize and recover dishonestly received public funds.
- Managing large-scale litigation in New Zealand and New York, including multi-plaintiff accident compensation claims and class actions.
LLM - Yale Law School, Connecticut, United States of America
LLB(Hons) and BA (Political Science) - University of Auckland, New Zealand
Harvard Business School Global Leadership Forum
Admitted to New York State Bar and US Federal Court
Admitted to the New Zealand Bar (Barrister and Solicitor) 1996
- Former board member, New Zealand Civil Aviation Authority
- Associate member of the New Zealand Institute of Directors
- Former member - Governing Committee to the Auckland Medico Legal Society